to the official website of Kerala Sahitya Akademi
The Kerala Sahitya Akademi is an autonomous institution established
for the promotion and development of Malayalam language and literature.
Formally inaugurated by the then Raja Pramukh late Chithira Thirunal
Balarama Varma Raja of Travancore at Kanakakunu Palace, Thiruvananthapuram
on 15th October, 1956, the Akademi started functioning in the
Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram and later on was shifted to a
room in the Thrissur Museum Bungalow. In September, 1957 it was
again shifted to the present beautiful building near the Thrissur
The Akademi functions under the overall control of a General Council
consisting of eminent persons representing different branches
of Malayalam literature, and is assisted by an Executive Board
consisting of the President, Vice President, District Collector
as Treasurer, Secretary of the Akademi and Secretary to Government
in charge of Cultural Department or his nominee and persons elected
by the General Council from among its members.
Apart from this there will be a Finance Committee, with the Treasurer
as the Chairman, a nominee of the Secretary to Government in charge
of the Culture Department, a nominee of the Secretary to Government
in charge of Finance Department, one member of the Executive Board
nominated by the Committee and one member of the General Council
nominated by the Council.